Saturday, February 23, 2013

NanoWriMo

So for the uninitiated NanoWriMo is a competition to write a novel of 50k words in the single month of November and while I did attempt it last year I did not make it past the first few thousand words. But this time I am going to try again and see where the mood takes me. This project will be ongoing a will be updated sporadically with bits of information about the world and possibly some story one off sections. Yes I know it is not November but I don't want to be constrained by a single month, also real life interrupts my writing process from time to time. Anyways some details and general statements about the project after the jump.
This universe is meant to be as "hard" as possible, in other words I want most of the descriptions and technological possibilities to follow what is the eventual reality rather than complete fiction. For example battles in space will be much more like Battlestar Galatica than Star Wars and even that is pushing the soft science fiction a little to much.

Here is the general outline as I have defined it: It is the future, about 200 years, and humanity has finally figured out most of its problems and has made the leap to the stars. The solar system has been colonized in one form or another, there are large cities on Mars, the Moon and in Low Earth Orbit. While the areas closer to Earth have been privatized, the Martian colonies and beyond have maintained strong cultural influences and ties to Earth countries. This has lead to the prevailing style hailing back to the Victorian Era. This style does not include values or certain styles but rather the feel of the turn of 19th century European styles. Beyond that most of the world is still in planning stages. Tell me what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment